Over the river from the park is Lighterage quay which was once called “Dynamite Quay” where ships would come up the river to collect dynamite.
Newham Railway Bridge is also opposite. The line used to run down to the Quay. There was once a station which was a large wooden building and until 1863 this line still carried passengers and it remained as a goods line until 1972.
The gas works that were on Lemon Quay had coal delivered by boat but the new coal fired power station built in 1957 (where the Royal Mail sorting office is today) had coal delivered by the railway at Newham
Across the road from the park, Trennick Mill dates from the early 1800s when records show there was a working mill with a water wheel
In 1912, shortly after the completion of Boscawen Park, Lord Falmouth opened the “Junket House” on the site of the original mill.
At the time, junket, a dish of sweetened milk curds, was a popular delicacy and was sold from this Mill House.
- A very important personage travelled by the river in 1846, when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, visited Truro by water on 7th September of that year. The Queen along with Prince Albert and the young Prince Edward travelled up the Fal River to Malpas and beyond. The Malpas regatta was in progress at the time and everything stopped to honour the Queen.
- In January of 1880 a tidal wave swept up the river
- In 1881 the river froze over from one side to the other with thick ice and in order for vessels to pass the ice had to be broken with crowbars by men in boats to clear the way.
Wooden sailing ships were once built on Back Quay and there were other ship-builders at Newham, Sunny Corner and Malpas. The 82 ton schooner ‘Lizzie’ was built at Malpas in 1881. The ship operated a regular service to London before being wrecked in 1905.